Looking for a healthy shrimp taco recipe? Tacos are often a favorite comfort food and a favorite craving for a lot of us. Instead of choosing beef tacos, opt for shrimp for a healthy and tasty alternative. Why shrimp?
Health Benefits of Shrimp
Shrimp are mostly made up of protein and water. On average, 100 grams of cooked shrimp has:
Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbs: 0.2 grams
Cholesterol: 189 milligrams
Sodium: 111 milligrams
Protein: 24 grams
Other vitamins and minerals include:
Shrimp Can Help with Weight Loss
Because they’re low in carbs and calories and packed with nutrients, shrimp are an ideal choice if you’re trying to shed some pounds.
But be careful how you cook it. If you prepare shrimp in a deep fryer or add it to a creamy sauce, you end up tipping the scale in the wrong direction.
The antioxidants in shrimp are good for your health. These substances can protect your cells against damage. Studies suggest that the antioxidant astaxanthin helps prevent wrinkles and lessens sun damage.
Shrimp also has plenty of selenium. Some studies suggest this mineral prevents certain types of cancer, but there’s not enough research to know how well it works.
One potential concern is the high amount of cholesterol in shrimp. Experts once held that eating too many foods high in cholesterol was bad for the heart. But modern research shows it’s the saturated fat in your diet that raises cholesterol levels in your body, not necessarily the amount of cholesterol in your food. Still, if you’re wary of the stuff, moderation is key.
Healthy Shrimp Taco Recipe
Try this healthy shrimp taco recipe and get your cravings satisfied while eating a guilt-free healthy meal.
Give juicy shrimp tacos a Cajun flavor spin with spices and a quick sear on a hot grill. An easy avocado mash adds creaminess to cool off the spicy kick.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
• 1 ripe avocado
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 small clove garlic, grated
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 pound large raw shrimp (16-20 count), peeled and deveined
• 2 tablespoons salt-free Cajun spice blend
• 8 corn tortillas, warmed
• 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
• ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
• ½ cup prepared pico de gallo
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Mash avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Add lime juice, garlic and salt and stir to combine.
3. Pat shrimp dry. Toss the shrimp with Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl. Thread onto four 10- to 12-inch metal skewers. Grill, turning once, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
4. Serve the shrimp in tortillas, topped with the guacamole, lettuce, cilantro and pico de gallo.
Equipment: Four 10- to 12-inch metal skewers
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Click here to read entire healthy shrimp taco recipe.