Healthy chicken marsala is still tasty. What makes healthy chicken marsala? Eliminating the decadent sauce which typically includes lots of butter and cream.
Healthy Chicken Marsala Recipe
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
• 4 chicken breast cutlets (4 ounces each, about 1/2 inch thick), trimmed
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
• ½ cup chopped yellow onion
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
• ½ cup Marsala
• ½ cup unsalted chicken broth
• ½ tablespoon butter
1. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and salt. Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge the cutlets in it, pressing gently to fully coat.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half the cutlets and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining cutlets. Cover to keep warm.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and creminis to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add shiitakes to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl and season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
4. Add onion, thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the pan; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the mushrooms to the pan. Stir in Marsala and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer over medium heat until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Total Carbohydrate 16g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Total Sugars 6g
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 3g
Click here for full healthy chicken marsala recipe.