Looking for a recipe for a healthy Brussels sprouts salad? Here’s one from Skinnytaste.com for a lemon Brussels sprouts salad.
This fat-free Brussels sprout recipe is all about texture and brightness, and these crisp-tender shaved Brussels sprouts will convince any skeptics to try them.
The broth helps season the sprouts and wilts them faster. They’re a delicious, healthy side dish and a great addition to your Thanksgiving table. They’re also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
These crisp-tender Lemon Brussel sprouts are light and bright, made with shaved brussels sprouts, a little chicken broth, lemon juice, and zest.
• 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
• 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
• 2 teaspoons Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• Zest of 1 lemon
1. Use the slicing disk on a food processor to shred the sprouts, or a sharp knife to halve and then thinly slice them by hand.
2. In a large deep skillet, heat the broth over medium-high heat. When it starts to simmer, add the sprouts and season with salt and pepper.
3. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are slightly wilted but still have some texture, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. If serving right away, stir in the lemon juice, and lemon zest. If making ahead of time, stir in the lemon right before serving hot or warm.
• If you have a food processor, the fastest way to shred Brussels sprouts is to attach the slicing disk. Then, throw in the sprouts at the top, and the machine will do all the work for you.
• If you don’t have a food processor, you only need a sharp knife. Cut them in half and then thinly slice them vertically.
• And if you don’t have time for either of those methods, you can buy pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at the supermarket.
• Oil: This lemon Brussels sprout salad recipe worked out much better without any oil, so I left it out. Feel free to add some if you wish.
• Garlic: Add three large garlic cloves or two tablespoons of minced garlic to the broth.
• Parmesan: Top the Brussels sprouts with grated parmesan cheese.
• Spiciness: Add some crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.
Make Ahead Tips
You could make these easy lemon Brussel sprouts a few hours in advance, which will help the flavors combine and make the sprouts more tender. Gently reheat them on the stove before serving, and add the lemon zest and juice once warm.
How to Store Brussel Sprouts
Leftover shredded Brussels sprouts will keep in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator and can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
Nutrition (per 1 cup cooked serving)
Calories: 59 kcal,
Carbohydrates: 12.5 g,
Protein: 4.5 g,
Fat: 0.5 g,
Fiber: 5 g,
Sugar: 3 g
Click here for Brussels sprouts salad recipe.