Yogurt bowls are a very healthy way to start the day off right, with a nutritious breakfast. These bowls incorporate cinnamon, a spice with many know health benefits, including:
1. Anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
Cinnamon is thought to have many medicinal and soothing properties, and is used frequently in Chinese herbal medicine. The distinctive smell and flavor of cinnamon derives from the essential oils contained in the bark, called cinnamaldehyde. Cinnamaldehyde displays anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
2. May support gut health
Some spices, including cinnamon, have prebiotic properties. These bacteria may help restore the balance of bacteria in your gut, support digestive health and alleviate any digestive issues.
3. May help manage blood pressure
There is some evidence to suggest that the consumption of cinnamon is associated with a short-term reduction in blood pressure. Although the evidence is hopeful, it is early days and more long-term random controlled trials are needed.
4. Lowers blood sugar and risk of type-2 diabetes
Cinnamon has a reputation for helping manage blood sugar. It appears to do this by a number of different mechanisms, including managing the amount of glucose that enters the bloodstream and mimicking the blood sugar management hormone, insulin.
5. May be beneficial for the aging brain
Conditions like Alzheimer’s are more common as we age, and are characterized by a progressive deterioration of brain cells. In Alzheimer’s, accumulation of protein fragments in the brain act by slowing how a person thinks and remembers. Cinnamon contains two compounds that appear to inhibit the build-up of these proteins. Much of this evidence is derived from animal studies, so there is still more for us to learn with regards to the effects for humans.
CINNAMON APPLE YOGURT BOWLS
These Cinnamon Apple Yogurt Bowls are like having apple pie for breakfast, without the crust.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 servings)
• 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored, seeded and diced (Honey Crisp, Gala)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
• 1 tablespoon golden raisins
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• pinch of nutmeg
• 2 cups 0% fat Stonyfield plain yogurt
• 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Place diced apple, sugar and raisins in a small pot, add 1/4 cup water, sprinkle with cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, cover, and cook over low heat until soft, 16 to 18 minutes.
2. Set aside to cool.
3. Divide the yogurt in 2 medium bowls. Top with apples and chopped nuts. Serve immediately.
For a Make Ahead: If you want to prepare the apples in advance, refrigerate them in a separate bowl then add along with the nuts just before serving.
NUTRITION (per serving)
Calories: 283 kcal
Click here for full recipe for cinnamon apple yogurt bowls.