Weight loss diets embrace healthy soups. In fact, weight Loss can be made easier with healthy soups. A broth based or pureed soup can help fill you up and give you comfort, particularly in cold weather.
“Souping” and Weight Loss Diets
By now, you’ve likely heard of juicing. But what about “souping“? Instead of downing green juice all day long, sip on soup. In my opinion, souping is a far healthier option for weight loss than a juice cleanse. Take advantage of soup’s health and weight loss benefits. Here, why and how to incorporate some healthful soup into your diet.
A study published in the journal Appetite found that when people ate a low-calorie soup (about 130 calories for women and 170 for men) before lunch, they naturally consumed about 20% fewer calories overall—but didn’t feel less full. And no, not just any appetizer will do. Other research has shown that compared to solid foods like cheese, crackers, and cantaloupe, soup does a better job at curbing subsequent eating.
Make this healthy soup a star of weight loss diets.
Mushroom Barley Soup
This earthy soup is hearty enough for a main course. If not served right away, the barley may soak up all the liquid, but if this happens, you can eat the dish like a stew. Or, to restore it to its soup-like consistency, just thin it with a bit of water.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 4½ cups water
- ½ cup small pasta shells
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a nonstick Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 7 minutes.
2. Stir in the mushrooms and cook 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, barley, liquid smoke, salt, sage, and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 35 minutes.
3. Stir in the pasta, cover, and cook until the barley and pasta are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve the soup sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition (per serving)
Note: Also a good source of: fiber, niacin, selenium.