Healthy Mexican food can be hard to come by. As a Nutritionist, I often warn my clients that Mexican restaurants are the most challenging cuisine for eating healthy. There are so many highly caloric and fatty offerings, including chips, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, refried beans, and high fat meats like chorizo.
Make Healthy Mexican Food
An alternative is to make healthy Mexican food at home. Here’s a healthy Mexican recipe that will hit the spot if you are craving chorizo. This spicy mixture is usually made from cuts of pork, vinegar, and spices. But, if you use leaner turkey or ground chicken, you can cut back on the fat while still enjoying plenty of great flavors. Just be sure to use 93% turkey rather than 99%, which will be far too dry.
There are two varieties of chorizo, which consists of cuts of pork seasoned with smoky spices, like paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Mexican chorizo is spicy and generally raw and many times found in casings. Spanish chorizo is cured pork that can be sliced and eaten without cooking. It can be sweet or spicy.
This healthy Mexican food recipe is easy and versatile. It takes less than 15 minutes to cook and can be served with scrambled or fried eggs, added to breakfast bowls, tacos, burritos, or breakfast casseroles. Let your imagination be your guide.
Easy Healthy Turkey Chorizo Recipe
Try this lighter version of Mexican Chorizo made with ground turkey and a smoky spice blend, perfect for adding to eggs, tacos, or other dishes.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- olive oil spray
- 1 pound 93% ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons smoky paprika
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, spray with oil and cook the meat, breaking it up in small pieces.
- Season with vinegar and spices and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 10 minutes.
- Serve with eggs, breakfast bowls, tacos, burritos or however you choose.
Nutrition (per 1/3 cup serving)