Vegetarian Chili makes an easy filling meal. It’s great for a party because it’s easy to make a large quantity and accommodates your vegetarian friends as well as anyone trying to cut back on red meat intake.
Vegetarian Chili with Spiced Yogurt
This Easy Black Bean Vegetarian Chili topped with Spiced Yogurt takes about 20 minutes to cook but tastes like it simmered for hours. The recipe is from one of my favorite recipe sources: Skinnytaste.com.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
1 1/4 tablespoon cumin
1 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
2 15 oz cans black beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 diced jalapeno, plus more for garnish
10 oz can rotel tomatoes with green chilies
8 ounces frozen corn
8 ounce can tomato sauce
3/4 cup less-sodium vegetable broth
Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar, diced red onions, cilantro, diced avocado
• Mix the spices in a small bowl. Set aside 1 1/2 teaspoons and mix into the yogurt. Set aside.
• Place 1 can of beans, not drained in the blender with 1/2 cup of water and puree. Drain the second can.
• Add oil to a large pot over medium heat, add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add tomatoes, corn, beans, pureed beans, tomato sauce, vegetable broth and remaining spices.
• how to make black bean chili
• Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring until thickened.
• Pot of Black Bean Vegetarian Chili
• Serve topped with spiced yogurt plus your favorite optional toppings.
Variations and Tips:
• Add diced sweet potatoes for extra fiber.
• Swap the red bell pepper for another color if you prefer.
• Leave the seeds and ribs in the jalapeno if you want spicy chili or remove them for a milder version.
• Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
NUTRITION (per 1 cup serving)
Click here for full vegetarian chili recipe.