Roasted root vegetables make a healthy, nutritious side dish. You may not be very familiar with parsnips. Parsnips might look like pale carrots, but they’re a nutrient-packed root vegetable with a touch of spice, nuttiness, and sweetness. These vegetables can vary in color from white to cream to pale yellow, with more noticeable sweetness when harvested after the first frost.
Health Benefits of Parsnips
• High in health-boosting vitamin C.
In fact, a half-cup of raw parsnips has about 17 milligrams of vitamin C, about 28% of your daily recommended intake (DRI). Boiling parsnips reduces their vitamin C content, but they still provide about 13 milligrams or 20% DRI.
• Supports the Immune System.
Vitamin C helps to boost your immune system and support more infection-fighting white blood cells. High amounts of vitamin C, about 100 to 200 milligrams a day, can also help to reduce your risks for respiratory infections and some chronic diseases.
• Improves Digestion
Parsnips are a good source of fiber as well, with anywhere from 3 to 5 grams of fiber per serving. Fiber is vital for a healthy gut because it moves food along the digestive tract and improves bowel health.
I love the added flavor of roasted root vegetables. Try this healthy roasted parsnips and carrots recipe.
Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
• 3/4 pound parsnips
• 3/4 pound carrots
• 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
2. Scrub the parsnips and carrots with a clean vegetable brush under running water and peel if needed.
3. Cut the vegetables into 3 inch x 1/2 inch sticks or 1 inch thick slices. Aim for pieces that are about the same size.
4. Transfer the cut vegetables to a large bowl. Add the oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper and stir to evenly coat the pieces.
5. Place vegetables in a single layer on large baking sheet with at least 1/4 inch between the pieces.
6. Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, then stir and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes until tender and golden with some browning.
7. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Nutrition (per ½ cup serving)
Total Fat 2.5g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Total Sugars 5g
Includes 0g Added Sugars
Click here for the entire roasted root vegetables recipe.