Want an idea for a high protein breakfast? Try this recipe from Skinnytaste.com. All you have to do is add some cottage cheese to your scrambled eggs for an easy high-protein breakfast. Many of us rarely eat cottage cheese, but it is a very healthy addition to our diets.
Health Benefits of Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is an excellent source of calcium, which plays an important role in maintaining bone health. People who get more calcium are less likely to develop osteoporosis.
Cottage cheese also can provide:
Blood sugar management.
Cottage cheese has a limited impact on blood glucose levels, especially compared to other low-fat dairy products. For people with type 2 diabetes, this makes it a great alternative to other cheeses.
Research suggests that people who eat protein-rich bedtime snacks like cottage cheese enjoy better muscle quality and higher metabolism. The high protein content in cottage cheese comes mostly from casein, which — because it’s slowly absorbed — can build muscle just as well as whey protein.
Cottage cheese is an excellent source of selenium, an essential trace mineral that plays an important role in how your thyroid works. So it may be helpful for those with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Graves’ disease.
High Protein Breakfast Recipe
INGREDIENTS (2 servings)
• 4 large eggs
• 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese, I like Good Culture
• 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
• fresh ground black pepper
• olive oil spray
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cottage cheese, kosher salt and black pepper, to taste with a fork.
2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and spray with oil. When warm, pour the eggs in.
3. Using a rubber spatula, slowly scrape sections of eggs to the center of the pan as the bottom starts to set, creating soft folds for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total until just set.
4. Remove from the heat and serve.
NUTRITION (PER SERVING)
Click here for this high protein breakfast recipe.