Hearty vegetable soup is a comfort food on a cold day. Here is a recipe for a lentil soup with butternut squash and lacinto kale. Not only is it comforting, but it is nutrient-dense, thanks to the butternut squash, lentils, kale, and leeks.
This recipe calls for lacinto kale. Lacinto kale is also known by the names Tuscan kale and dinosaur kale. This is the type of kale that professional chefs love to use in salad and cook with and most frequently. It has a deeper color and is slightly thinner and more tender than curly kale. That makes it more versatile. It cooks more quickly and requires less massaging for use in raw preparations.
Lacinto kale can be used in many ways. Slow cook it. Remove the stems and use it in a salad or slice it into strips to make a slaw. Stir it into soup or pasta right when it’s being finished in the pan. Tuscan kale has a pleasant, chewy texture that disappears when overcooked, so be sure to keep an eye on it.
Try this recipe for a healthy, hearty vegetable soup. It’s also very low in calories.
LENTIL SOUP WITH BUTTERNUT AND KALE
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 servings)
• 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 medium carrot, diced
• 2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
• 1 celery stalk, diced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 pound peeled and diced butternut, 1/2-inch dice
• 2 ounces lentils
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• black pepper
• 3 cups packed chopped lacinato kale, stems removed
1. Heat a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. When hot, add oil, then add onion, carrots, leeks and celery, reduce heat and cook about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the broth and lentils and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until halfway cooked, 20 minutes.
6. Add the butternut and cook until tender, about 15 minutes more. Discard the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Add the kale and cook 7 minutes longer until the kale is tender.
To Freeze: Let the soup cool then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Keep frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, transfer to the refrigerator the night before then reheat on the stove or microwave.
NUTRITION (per 1-1/3 cup serving)
Click here to read full recipe for this hearty vegetable soup.