Looking for a healthy tomato sauce? This is Dr. Mark Hyman’s recipe for spicy arrabbiata sauce. It cooks up in only 30 minutes.
An easy, savory tomato sauce is a must-have recipe for every kitchen. This is a healthy sauce to spread over zucchini noodles or even use as a shakshuka base to make incredible eggs. It’s got the perfect amount of spice in my opinion. You can also put it over whole grain pasta, any pasta substitute or even a whole grain such as quinoa.
Cooking the tomatoes in this healthy tomato sauce recipe not only develops a deeper type of flavor, but also releases more of the antioxidant lycopene, which is linked to reduced risks for cancer, heart disease, and deteriorating eyesight. Add a hefty dose of garlic and oregano for maximum flavor and powerful immune support.
Health Tomato Sauce Recipe
Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
• 2 tablespoons avocado oil
• 1 teaspoon chili flakes
• 5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 small yellow onion, very finely diced
• 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 (18.3-ounce) can crushed or whole red tomatoes
• ¾ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram
1. Heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add the chili flakes and garlic cloves, sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the onions and sauté for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
3. Add the red wine vinegar and simmer for 1 minute until liquids have evaporated.
4. Add in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper, stir to combine. Break the tomatoes up (if using whole) using a wooden spoon and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning on the bottom of the pan.
5. Once the sauce has thickened and reduced by about one-third, add the herbs, stir and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with your favorite pasta of choice or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days to use in any other of your favorite dishes, like shakshuka eggs.
Nutritional analysis: (per serving)
Total Fat: 7g,
Click here for full healthy tomato sauce recipe.