This easy healthy shrimp recipe is from Skinnytaste.com, one of my favorite cookbooks and cooking websites. It is a meal-in-one, made with shrimp, sausage, and lots of colorful vegetables such as zucchini, yellow squash and bell peppers.
Because they’re low in carbs and calories and packed with nutrients, shrimp are an ideal choice if you’re trying to shed some pounds.
But be careful how you cook it. If you prepare shrimp in a deep fryer or add it to a creamy sauce, you end up tipping the scale in the wrong direction.
The antioxidants in shrimp are good for your health. These substances can protect your cells against damage. Studies suggest that the antioxidant astaxanthin helps prevent wrinkles and lessens sun damage.
Shrimp also has plenty of selenium. Some studies suggest this mineral prevents certain types of cancer.
Try this healthy shrimp recipe. Save time and clean-up by using an air fryer.
Cajun Shrimp Dinner
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings)
• 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
• 24 (1 pound) cleaned and peeled extra jumbo shrimp
• 6 ounces fully cooked Turkey/Chicken Andouille sausage or kielbasa, sliced
• 1 medium zucchini, 8 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch thick half moons
• 1 medium yellow squash, 8 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch thick half moons
• 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin 1-inch pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a large bowl, combine the Cajun seasoning and shrimp, toss to coat.
2. Add the sausage, zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and salt and toss with the oil.
3. Preheat the air fryer 400F.
4. In 2 batches (for smaller baskets), transfer the shrimp and vegetables to the air fryer basket and cook 8 minutes, shaking the basket 2 to 3 times.
5. Set aside, repeat with remaining shrimp and veggies.
6. Once both batches are cooked, return the first batch to the air fryer and cook 1 minute.
Tip: Buy shrimp still frozen and defrost as needed. Most shrimp arrives at stores frozen so you may as well buy it frozen and defrost it as needed so it as fresh as possible. To defrost shrimp, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
NUTRITION: (per 1-1/2 cup serving)
Click here for full healthy shrimp recipe.