A healthy pizza recipe can satisfy a pizza craving. I always tell my clients that if a craving doesn’t go away, it’s important to satisfy it. Usually it can be met with a healthier version of a restaurant prepared meal.
Cauliflower pizza crusts have become common-place. Here’s a new twist: a pizza crust made from spaghetti squash.
Healthy Pizza Recipe: Spaghetti Squash Crust Pizza
Ingredients (makes 2 pizza servings)
• 2 packed cups cooked spaghetti squash (from a 2.2 lb spaghetti squash)
• 1 large egg
• 3/4 cup finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not grated)
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/3 cup tomato-basil marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
• 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. To quickly cook the spaghetti squash pierce it all over with a knife and microwave 5 minutes. Then continue to cook in 2 minute increments until the skin gives when pressed.
2. Cut it open, remove the seeds and scrape the squash out with a fork.
3. Place the cooked spaghetti squash in a clean cheesecloth or dish cloth and squeeze all the water out REALLY well.
4. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and spray with oil.
5. In a medium bowl, mix the spaghetti squash with the egg, mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano and garlic powder.
6. Make 4 7-inch rounds on the prepared pan patting down so they are very thin, the thinner the crisper they will be.
7. Spray the crust lightly with olive oil spray and bake for 15 minutes, until golden then carefully flip with a spatula. Bake 5 to 7 minutes more, until crisp.
Prepare the pizza:
1. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce on top of each baked crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
2. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
3. Bake the pizza 3 to 4 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted.
The thinner you make the crust, the crispier it will be. I also found that parchment paper helped get the crust crisper than a Silpat.
Nutrition (per serving)
Click here for the full healthy pizza recipe.