A healthy crock pot soup recipe can be a real time saver and a comfort food in the winter. Butternut squash is a very nutritious winter vegetable and benefits from being cooked in a crock pot.
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash
A serving of butternut squash is 1 cup. Here is the nutritional profile:
• 63 calories
• 0 grams of fat
• 16 grams of carbohydrates
• 2.8 grams of dietary fiber
• 3 grams of sugar
• 1.4 grams of protein
• 6 milligrams of sodium
For vitamins and nutrients, one serving of butternut squash is packed with:
• More than 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin A
• Nearly 40% of your daily requirement of vitamin C
• About 15% of your daily requirement of magnesium
• About 18% of your daily requirement of potassium
• About 5% of your daily requirement of calcium
What Butternut Squash Can Do for You
• It’s a great hydrator. One serving of butternut squash is roughly 87% water, which can help keep you hydrated.
• It’s good for your immunity . Like other orange-colored fruits and vegetables, butternut squash is full of beta-carotene and alpha-carotene. Your body converts them to vitamin A, which is important for your immune system.
• It’s excellent for your eyes. Butternut squash has lutein and zeaxanthin, often found in yellow fruits and vegetables as well as eggs. Along with beta-carotene and vitamin A, these protect your eyes from ultraviolet rays.
• Keep in mind that your body needs a bit of healthy fat to best absorb these eye-benefitting nutrients, so consider eating butternut squash with a little drizzle of olive oil.
• It’s a good source of fiber. Foods high in dietary fiber can help keep your weight in balance and lower your cancer risk. Research shows that butternut squash can help reduce your risk of colorectal cancer, in particular.
If you’re interested in a healthy crock pot soup recipe, try this one:
SLOW COOKER BUTTERNUT PEAR SOUP
This Slow Cooker Butternut Pear soup with a hint of ginger is vegan and dairy-free and so simple to make. Great as a starter or serve it as a meal with a salad or a sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 servings)
• 2 lbs butternut squash, halved, seeds removed (1 medium)
• 2 small ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced
• 2 large shallot, quartered
• 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
• 2 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or 1-1/2 tbsp Better Bouillon w/water
• 1/2 cup coconut milk, plus more optional for garnish
• pinch nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place the squash, pears, shallots, ginger and broth in the slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours, until soft and cooked through, a knife should easily be inserted.
3. Remove squash from skin and discard the peel.
4. Stir in coconut milk and nutmeg.
5. Blend in a blender or using an immersion blender until smooth.
6. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper and garnish with more coconut milk, if desired.
NUTRITION (per 1-1/4 cup serving)
Calories: 132 kcal
Click here for this healthy crock pot soup recipe.