Want a healthy chicken salad recipe? This quick and easy, classic chicken salad recipe from Skinnytaste.com is made healthier and lighter by making just a few substitutions. Use this healthy chicken salad recipe to make the perfect homemade sandwich or the perfect cold lunch for meal prep!
Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe
This traditional Chicken Salad recipe, made with simple ingredients is perfect for make-ahead lunches. There are so many ways to eat it, like as a chicken salad sandwich, on a bagel, over a salad or in lettuce wraps.
It’s is my go-to lunch to keep on hand in the refrigerator to eat throughout the week, or to bring to potlucks and it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, high protein, and low-carb.
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 12 ounces cooked chicken breast, finely chopped (from 2 breasts of rotisserie chicken)
• 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup celery, chopped
• 1/3 cup red onion, diced (or scallions or chives)
• 2 tablespoons chicken broth, optional
• 1 teaspoon Dijon
• 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
• black pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Serve over salad, in a wrap, or in a sandwich
How to Poach Chicken Breast: If you want to poach your chicken breast, follow these simple steps:
• Cover chicken breast in broth in a small pot, add water if it doesn’t cover the chicken.
• Add salt and pepper, a piece of celery with the leaves (you could add herbs like parsley, garlic, onion, or whatever you want) and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat, cover tight and let it sit for 15-20 minutes or until thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees.
• Chicken will be cooked through. Let it cool and chop.
Nutrition (per ½ cup serving)
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 18 g
Fat: 5 g
Click here for the full healthy chicken salad recipe.