Looking for healthy chicken and veggies recipes? Here’s an easy one from Skinnytaste.com. It’s a one pan or wok recipe with chicken and lots of veggies, including Brussels sprouts. This recipe does is healthy and low calorie and does not even need the addition of rice or some other starch to make it tasty. What not give it a try?
Healthy Chicken and Veggies Recipe
Brussels sprouts in a stir-fry? Why not! Shred the sprouts thinly with a sharp knife or buy them pre-shredded, and make sure your pan is really hot so they brown a little on the edges. This low-carb dish is so loaded with veggies you won’t even miss the rice.
Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken and Shredded Brussels Bowls
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
• 1 teaspoon grapeseed or canola oil
• 1/2 pound (227g) 93% fat-free ground chicken
• 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1/2 small onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
• 3 cups (300g) shredded Brussels sprouts
• 1/2 cup (50g) shredded carrots
• 1/4 cup (45g) sliced red bell pepper
• 3/4 cup (55g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
• 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine), mirin or dry sherry
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 medium scallion, sliced, for garnish
1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1/2 teaspoon of the grapeseed oil over high heat. When the pan is hot and almost smoking, add the chicken, 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the crushed red pepper.
2. Brown the chicken, using a wooden spoon to break it into small pieces as it cooks, 3–4 minutes.
3. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
4. To the pan, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil, the Brussels sprouts and carrots.
5. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms. Pour in the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, rice wine and sesame oil.
6. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
7. Return the chicken to the skillet, stir and reheat for about 30 seconds.
8. Remove the pan from the heat, garnish with the scallion, and divide between two bowls.
Nutrition (per 1-3/4 cup serving):
Total Fat: 14.5g
Click here for this healthy chicken and veggies recipe.