Healthy breakfast recipes can help keep you on track with your healthy diet. I find that the easiest approach is to have breakfast prepared in advance so I can just pack in it my cooler and leave the house. Breakfast is a hurried affair for most of us so why not establish a repertoire of healthy breakfast recipes that you can make on the weekend?
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, so it’s worth the effort to eat a healthy one. Some healthy breakfast recipes include: egg muffins, overnight oats, nut butter on whole wheat toast, and a spinach and feta wrap.
But avocado toast is the current king of breakfasts. If there were a pageant for the most popular healthy breakfast, avocado toast might take the crown. The once-niche food trend has now become a mainstream American favorite for breakfast and brunch. With just a few ingredients needed, little preparation time and healthy fats and lots of fiber and protein, this has become one of the most popular healthy breakfasts.
Here’s a healthy muffin recipe to add to your selection of healthy breakfast recipes.
Sweet Potato and Orange Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12 servings)
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 3/4 cup sweet potatoes (yams), cooked or canned/drained
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 2/3 cup orange juice
• 1/4 cup grated carrot
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly oil muffin tins for 12 muffins.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, orange juice, carrots and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir gently until flour is just moistened.
5. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are browned and bounce back when touched lightly in the center.
6. Cool 5 minutes and loosen around the edge of each muffin to remove from tins.
7. Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information (for one muffin)
Total Fat 0.5g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Total Sugars 8g (Includes 6g Added Sugars)
Click here for full recipe.