Looking for a healthy breakfast recipe? Tired of oatmeal and eggs? Why not try this this healthy breakfast recipe from MyFitnessPal?
Healthy Breakfast Recipe
This healthy breakfast recipe is easily transportable because it comes in little energy bites. These nuggets are full of flavor and very easy to pull together and a great way to get some good protein at breakfast. You can even take them on the go.
Quinoa Egg Power Bites
Ingredients (makes 12)
• 1 cup dry quinoa (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 2 cups vegetable broth (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 2 tablespoons ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 medium cucumber, shredded
• 1/2 cup pecorino cheese (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 1/4 cup basil, julienned
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 12 whole pecans or walnuts (optional)
• Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Soak the quinoa for 5 minutes and drain. In a saucepan over high heat, combine the quinoa with the broth and 1 tablespoon of the ghee and bring it to a boil. Stir well, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is fluffy.
3. Alternative: You can buy quinoa that is pre-cooked.
4. Combine the eggs, cucumber, cheese, basil, cumin, cayenne, salt, and remaining ghee in a large bowl. Stir in the quinoa.
5. Pour the mixture into a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin and top with the nuts, if desired. Bake the power bites for 20 minutes. Remove them from the tin and let cool on a rack so you don’t burn your excited mouth. Douse them in hot sauce if you like an extra kick!
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Total Fat: 6g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 55mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 4%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 6%
Click here for full healthy breakfast recipe.