Grain salads are gaining popularity. Looking for a versatile recipe that’s great as a filling side dish, lunch, or pitch in food? Grain salads are readily available pre-packaged at grocery and health good stores. You can even get grain bowls in the freezer section.
What are Grain Salads?
A healthy option that is gaining popularity for lunch is the notion of a grain salad. This basic idea works with any whole grain and in any season. Mix up the vegetables based on what you have on hand, and you can make loads of variations. The best part? It’s so hearty and filling, great as a side dish for a vegetarian meal or perfect for lunches.
Why not make your own grains salad? Try this recipe, which makes a healthy and hearty winter lunch.
Apple Lentil Winter Greens Salad
• 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 15 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
• 2 bunches kale, shredded (about 8 cups total)
• ½ red apple, thinly sliced
• ⅓ cup roasted almonds, unsalted, chopped
• 15 fresh mint leaves
• 2 cups pre-cooked black lentils
1. Begin with making the dressing, add the minced shallots to a small bowl along with the lemon juice, fish sauce (if using), salt, and pepper. Leave out the olive oil for now to allow the shallots to pickle in the lemon juice while preparing the rest of the salad.
2. Add the chopped Brussels sprouts and kale to a bowl and toss together.
3. Whisk the olive oil into the shallot mixture to complete the dressing.
4. Pour the dressing over the Brussels sprouts bowl and use your hands to massage in the dressing until the kale has softened.
5. Top the salad with the apples, almonds, mint, and lentils and toss together with salad spoons to combine.
6. Serve & enjoy!
Total Fat: 10g
Click here to get the recipe for this healthy grain salad.