A balanced diet must include a lot of vegetables. Reputable research demonstrates that plant-based diets are the healthiest to avoid chronic diseases and lead a long life.
Yet, some of my clients say “I have to tell you that I don’t like vegetables.” I tell them that to be healthy, and especially to lose weight, they are just going to have to make friends with vegetables.
A Balanced Diet is Enhanced with Spiralized Vegetables
A balanced diet should include many types of vegetables. An easy way to add more vegetables to your meals is to use spiralized vegetables. You can buy a spiralizer and enjoy cranking them out yourself, or you can buy them fresh or frozen. Green Giant now makes frozen beet, zucchini, carrots, and butternut squash spiralized vegetables.
Mexican-Style Breakfast Tacos with Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
This innovative breakfast makes a nutritious addition to a balanced diet and a healthy way to start your day.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small to medium sweet potato, peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1/3 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white or red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 corn tortillas (6”)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 8 slivers
Time Saving Tip: You can also buy these noodles fresh or frozen.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the sweet potato noodles, season with salt, pepper, and paprika and cook for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, onion, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, and salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl and toss well. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot, add the eggs and scramble.
- Once the eggs and sweet potato noodles are done, heat the tortillas – place one of the used pans back over medium-high heat and place in the tortillas, allowing to heat up, flipping once, about 30 seconds to 1 minute each.
- Assemble the tacos: lay down a taco. Add scrambled egg, sweet potato noodles, avocado slices, and tomato mixture. Repeat until all tortillas are made.
Nutrition (per serving)
Click here for this delicious recipe to add to your balanced diet.