Strawberry desserts can be a healthy way to indulge a sweet tooth. Strawberries are packed with vitamins and minerals and can be used in healthy desserts
Here’s a recipe for a healthy strawberry scone. These strawberry scones made lighter, make a wonderful breakfast and a delicious way to use up fresh summer strawberries.
Strawberry Desserts Recipe
Try this recipe for strawberry scones.
INGREDIENTS (8 servings)
• 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tsp for topping
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 cup (half stick) frozen butter
• 3/4 cups 1% light buttermilk, cold
• 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Measure out ¼ cup of sugar and remove 1 tbsp. Mix strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients including the remaining sugar.
4. Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour.
5. Mix well with flour.
6. In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla.
7. Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened. Do not over work the dough.
8. Fold in the strawberries.
9. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
10. Drop 8 equal large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact). Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar. Bake in the center rack 18 minutes.
11. Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.
Optional: drizzle with glaze if desired by mixing powdered sugar and milk. Click here for recipe.
NUTRITION (for one scone)
Click here for strawberry desserts recipe.