Making homemade hummus is very easy. While store-bought hummus is super convenient, if you knew how easy it was to make yourself, you would make it all the time!
Plus, making it from scratch gives you control of the ingredients.
• Less Olive Oil: This recipe uses less oil than most, so you can enjoy larger portions without the extra calories.
• Creamy Texture: Adding ice and cold water to the blender with the chickpeas makes the creamiest finished dish.
• Fast and Easy: Just add everything to the blender and blend it up!
• Cheaper: Save money by making it yourself.
• Whip up anytime! I always have the ingredients in my pantry and fridge so I can make it anytime.
According to Skinnytaste.com, the trick to making super creamy hummus without adding a ton of oil is using a high-speed blender and adding crushed ice water.
Blend it with canned chickpeas, tahini, cumin, lemon, garlic, and salt, and then drizzle on some olive oil.
Eat this healthy chickpea dip with fresh as a snack or appetizer with carrot sticks, cucumbers, and pita wedges or add it to bowls, avocado toast, sandwiches, salad dressing and more.
This garlic version of homemade hummus is probably the most popular, but there are many other flavors. Here are a few ways to switch it up:
• Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Mix in jarred roasted red peppers.
• Herbs: Try a blend of dried herbs, like za’atar, oregano, thyme, or parsley.
• Olives: Top it with chopped kalamata olives or olive tapenade.
• Spicy: Stir in red pepper flakes for a kick.
• More Toppings: Top with sesame seeds, fresh parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
This quick and easy blender hummus comes out super creamy. It’s so easy to make from scratch that you’ll never buy it pre-made again!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
• 15.5 ounce can chickpeas beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup crushed ice water
• 3 tablespoons tablespoon tahini
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• juice of 1 lemon
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for topping
• Sweet paprika, for dusting
• Everything bagel seasoning, optional for topping
1. Place the chickpeas, ice water, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, garlic and salt into the blender and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. If you must, add a tablespoon of water, as needed.
2. Using a rubber spatula, pour it all out onto a serving dish and smooth with the back of a spoon; drizzle the olive oil over the top and finish with a dusting of paprika and optional, everything bagel seasoning.
3. Serve with carrot sticks, cucumbers, pita wedges, etc.
If you have a high-speed bullet blender, that’s the best tool. Otherwise, any high-speed blender will work.
Nutrition (per 1/3 cup serving)
Calories: 252 kcal,
Carbohydrates: 28.5 g,
Protein: 10 g,
Fat: 12 g,
Fiber: 7.5 g,
Sugar: 4.5 g
Click here to read more about homemade hummus.