A healthy dipping sauce can make a big difference on Super Bowl Sunday or at any social get-together. A typical ranch dressing is about 110-140 calories for 2 tablespoons. Making a healthy dipping sauce is worth the trouble. It can make the difference between beating yourself up later over your food choices or feeling good without depriving yourself.
Beet Dipping Sauce
Try this recipe for a healthy dipping sauce made from beets.
Ingredients (makes 16 servings)
• 2 cans (14 ounces each) beets, drained and rinsed or 12 (2 inches round) cooked from fresh
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
• 2 Tablespoons sesame tahini (optional)
1. In a blender or food processor, combine beets, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and tahini, if desired.
2. Blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or beet juice.
3. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
• Serve with carrot, celery or jicama sticks.
• You can buy pre-cooked beets in a package.
• Make a chunky version if you don’t have a blender or food processor.
• Mash beets with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency.
• Add remaining ingredients and water or beet juice if needed.
Nutrition Information (per 2 tbsp serving)
Total Fat 0g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Total Sugars 2g
Click here for recipe for a healthy dipping sauce.