Can you cook a muffin in a mug? Have a hankering for a muffin but want it to be healthy? Want to make sure your indulgent breakfast muffin has healthy ingredients? Try something new: cook a muffin in a mug.
Try this recipe from the My Fitness Pal app recipe blog. Did you know you can make a freshly baked muffin loaded with fruit in your microwave in just 2 minutes? Not only is this a time saver, but you’ll also save on sugar and calories compared to a typical bakery muffin, which has nearly 30 grams of sugar and just 1 gram of fiber.
We give a range of cooking times as wattages of microwaves vary. It’s also helpful to use a glass mug so you can see when the batter has expanded and is full of bubbles, which means it’s cooked through. Feel free to substitute the blueberries and pecans in this recipe for your favorite fresh berries and nuts. It takes only 7 minutes to prepare.
Cook a Muffin in a Mug: Blueberry Breakfast Mug Cake
Ingredients (serves 1)
• 1/4 cup (24g) whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 tablespoon rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
• 1/4 cup (60ml) 2% milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk
• 2 teaspoons canola oil or melted coconut oil
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup (40g) fresh blueberries
• 2 teaspoons chopped toasted pecans
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a small measuring cup, whisk together the milk, oil and vanilla.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until moistened. Stir in the blueberries.
3. Spoon the batter into a 12–16-ounce (450–473ml) mug. Sprinkle the top with nuts.
4. Microwave on high until the cake has expanded and is firm to the touch, 1 1/2–2 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave. Watch closely and do not overcook. Add time in 10-second intervals if the muffin is not done.
5. The muffin will puff up at first, but deflate as it cools.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat: 12g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Click here for more on how to cook a muffin in a mug.