Healthy rice bowls can make quick work of lunch or dinner. Try out this recipe, which you can make in 15 minutes or less and then tweak it to suit your preferences.
Healthy Rice Bowls
Health rice bowls are quick and easy. They make an especially good solution for a healthy lunch because you lose the 200 empty calories from bread, pita or a tortilla. You can make an endless variety of healthy rice bowls by varying the protein and whole grain starch. Then add spices to your taste.
Rice Bowl Southwestern Style
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped vegetables (try a mixture – bell peppers, onion, corn, tomato, zucchini)
• 1 cup cooked meat (chopped or shredded), beans or tofu
• 1 cup cooked brown rice
• 2 Tablespoons salsa, shredded cheese or low-fat sour cream
1. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet). Add vegetables and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add cooked meat, beans or tofu and cooked rice to skillet and heat through.
3. Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with salsa, cheese or sour cream and serve warm.
• For a spicier dish, add chili powder, red pepper flakes or taco sauce in Step 1.
• You can use any leftover cooked grain in this recipe. Try any other whole grained starch: wild rice, quinoa, barley or oatmeal.
Nutrition (per serving)
Total Fat 12g
Click here to get rice for healthy rice bowls.