This healthy chili can be prepared in less than one hour. This healthy chili is made with lean ground turkey, kidney beans and corn. It is well spiced and packed with plenty of protein and fiber. This recipe may be made on the stovetop or in your slow cooker.
Healthy Chili Recipe
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken (99%)
• 4 tablespoons chili powder* (I used McCormick chili powder – please read the notes section on this)
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
• 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
• 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
• For topping: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
1. Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add in ground turkey and break up the meat; cooking until no longer pink.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt; stir for about 20 seconds.
4. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary.
Garnish with anything you’d like. Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
This recipe suggests using McCormick’s Chili Powder in this recipe, which is very mild. If you less spicy chili, start with 2-3 tablespoons instead of 4.
To make this recipe in the slow cooker:
• Reduce the chicken broth to 1/2 cup and brown the turkey and onions before adding to the slow cooker.
• Cook it on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
• Make this for your next tailgate or football party.
Nutrition (per 1-1/2 cup serving)
Click here for entire healthy chili recipe.