Weight control has to include eating a healthy breakfast. According to the Mayo Clinic, “regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss.” Many research studies support this claim.
The National Institute of Diabetes agrees: “People who skip breakfast tend to be heavier than people who eat a healthy breakfast.”
How a Healthy Diet Helps with Weight Control
Here’s how eating a healthy breakfast helps with weight control:
Eating breakfast helps with weight control because you won’t be starving later in the day. You’ll be less inclined to overeat. Also, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast increases your body’s insulin response. That leads to more fat storage and to weight gain.
Eating breakfast helps with weight control because it starts you off on the right track to make healthy choices all day. People who eat breakfast tend to eat a healthier overall diet.
A healthy breakfast helps with weight control because it refuels your body and replenishes your glycogen stores. Glycogen is important because it supplies your muscles with immediate energy. People who routinely skip breakfast are usually less active.
Here’s an unusual recipe that will get your day off to a healthy start.
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes Recipe
Yes, you can have cupcakes for breakfast. These cupcakes have a secret ingredient—zucchini.
This breakfast treat will give you an energized start to your day. Pair a muffin with some fresh fruit or some Greek yogurt.
Ingredients (serves 12)
• 1 cup grated zucchini
• 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup agave nectar, divided
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 cup whole-wheat flour
• ½ cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
• ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
• ½ teaspoon baking powder, low sodium
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
• ½ teaspoon ginger, ground
• ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
• ½ cup cocoa, unsweetened
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Put grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, add applesauce, vanilla extract, ¼ cup agave and mix thoroughly.
4. Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices, and mix well. Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
5. Add zucchini mixture and stir thoroughly.
6. Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to ¾ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
7. Mix ¼ cup agave with ½ teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle agave mixture over cupcakes as icing and enjoy!
Nutrition (per cupcake)
Click here to download this healthy breakfast recipe that will help with weight control