Do you ever wonder how to eat healthy without giving up flavor? Some people mistakenly assume that healthy foods have to taste bland. This recipe for spicy tortilla soup with shrimp and avocado will wake up your taste buds and satisfy your appetite for healthy foods.
I discovered this recipe on my favorite app, My Fitness Pal. What I like about that program is that it is an excellent way to hold yourself accountable for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It also has lots of tasty recipes. And the best part is that it’s free.
How to Eat Healthy While Exciting Your Taste Buds
Fun and fiery are not usually words you’d use to describe soup but this recipe for tortilla soup with shrimp and avocado is another story! The recipe calls for chipotle chili and fire-roasted tomatoes for added spice and smokiness. Puffy, chewy hominy kernels add texture (and fiber) to the dish without weighing it down with extra calories and fat.
Recipe for Spicy Tortilla Soup with Shrimp & Avocado
• 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
• 1 cup Onion, chopped
• 1/3 cup Celery, chopped
• 1/3 cup Carrot, chopped
• 1 tablespoon Chipotle Chile canned in adobo sauce
• 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
• 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
• 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
• 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium Chicken Broth
• 1 can (15-ounce) White Hominy, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (15-ounce) no-salt-added fire-roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
• 12 ounces medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 tablespoon fresh Lime Juice
• 1/8 teaspoon Salt
• 1/2 cup baked Tortilla Chips (about 1 ounce), lightly crushed
• 1 cup diced avocado (about 1/2 pound)
• 2 tablespoons fresh Cilantro leaves
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
2. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); cook 6 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add broth, hominy, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done.
5. Remove from heat; stir in juice and salt. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among 4 bowls; top evenly with chips and avocado.
6. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Serving Size: 1.75 cups + 2 tablespoons chips + 1/4 avocado
Total Fat: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 322mg; Iron: 4%; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 4%; Calcium: 2%.
Click here to learn how to eat healthy with this flavorful recipe.