Here’s a healthy weight loss recipe to try. It features black beans and quinoa, both of which can contribute to healthy weight loss.
Healthy Weight Loss: Black Beans
Black beans are classified as legumes and can help healthy weight loss. They are sometimes referred to as turtle beans because of their hard, shell-like appearance.
Like other legumes, such as peanuts, peas, and lentils, black beans are prized for their high protein and fiber content. They also contain several other key vitamins and minerals that are known to benefit our health.
Here are some key health benefits of black beans:
• Black beans may help strengthen bones.
• Black beans contain quercetin and saponins which can protect the heart.
• Black beans contain around 114 calories per half-cup.
Eating legumes like black beans can also help with healthy weight loss. Dietary fiber is commonly recognized as an important factor in weight loss and weight management. It functions as a “bulking agent” in the digestive system. High fiber foods increase the sense of fullness after eating and reduce appetite. This keeps you feeling fuller for a longer period of time, thereby lowering overall calorie intake.
Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like black beans decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, and overall lower weight.
Healthy Weight Loss: Quinoa
Eating quinoa can also help with healthy weight loss. Quinoa is non-GMO, gluten-free and usually grown organically. Even though technically not a cereal grain, it still counts as a whole-grain food.
Quinoa can help with healthy weight loss. Here’s why:
• It’s high in protein, which can both increase metabolism and reduce appetite significantly.
• The high amount of fiber may increase feelings of fullness, allowing you to eat fewer calories overall.
The fact that quinoa has a low glycemic index is another important feature that promotes healthy weight loss. That means it takes your body a longer time to metabolize and that keeps you feeling full longer.
Quinoa Black Bean Salad Recipe
Try this healthy weight loss quinoa and black bean salad recipe. This chilled salad works as an entree or a side dish.
• 1/2 cup dry quinoa
• 1 and 1/2 cups water
• 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (dried cilantro seeds)
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
• 2 medium scallions, minced
• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 cups tomato, chopped
• 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 fresh green chilis (or to taste), minced
• Black pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, then add the quinoa. Return to boil, then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
3. Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
4. Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition (per 1 cup serving)
Total fat 5 g
Total fiber 7 g
Protein 9 g
Carbs 34 g
Click here for full healthy weight loss recipe.