Why do healthy meal plans need to include omega-3s? The reason is that this type of fatty acid is not made by our bodies, so we need to get his essential fat from the foods we eat.
What makes omega-3 fats special? They are an integral part of our cell membranes and affect the function of the cell receptors in these membranes. They also provide the starting point for making hormones that regulate blood clotting, contraction and relaxation of artery walls, and inflammation. They also bind to receptors in cells that regulate genetic function.
Omega-3 fats have been shown to help prevent heart disease and stroke, may help control lupus, eczema, and rheumatoid arthritis, and may play protective roles in cancer and other conditions.
Foods high in Omega-3 include fish, vegetable oils, nuts (especially walnuts), flax seeds, flaxseed oil, and leafy vegetables. If you don’t like salmon, eat another fish that is high in omega-3s, such as mackerel, trout, herring, sardines, or albacore tuna.
Eat Salmon as Part of a Healthy Meal Plan
If you don’t like salmon, substitute another fish and if you’re short on time, buy the fast cooking brown or wild rice.
Wild Rice Salmon Chowder Recipe
Ingredients (4 servings):
• 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
• 8 scallions, chopped
• 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
• 2 cups 1% milk
• ½ tsp. kosher salt
• 2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups cooked wild (or brown) rice
• 1 lb. salmon, skin removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
1. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté the scallions for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk in the milk. Gently cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens slightly, 3-5 minutes. Don’t let the sauce boil.
3. Season with the salt, hot sauce, and pepper. Stir in the rice and reduce the heat to medium-low.
4. Add the salmon and gently cook until the fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving):
• Calories: 350
• Fat: 13 g
• Carbs: 28 g
• Fiber: 2 g
• Protein: 31 g
Click here for this recipe for healthy meal plans