Healthy meal plans mean lightening up some of our favorite dishes. Quiche is a go-to for brunch gatherings. Traditionally prepared quiches often have upwards of 400 calories per serving. The calories add up from the butter, generous amounts of full-fat cheese and whipping cream.
Healthy meal plans involve making lighter versions of favorites, without sacrificing flavor. This version contains no butter of whipped cream and cuts way down on the amount of cheese.
SPINACH RICOTTA QUICHE
This recipe will come out great and is perfect for parties or family gatherings. It has a lot of flavor and stays moist.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 8 servings)
- refrigerated dough for 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta
- 1/3 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured work surface until it’s approximately 11 to 12-inches in diameter.
- Transfer it to a 9-inch metal or glass pie dish. Using your fingers, press it firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Trim off any excess, leaving about 1/2-inch overhanging. Then fold/crimp the overhanging dough.
- Prick the bottom of the pie crust with the tines of a fork. Transfer the pie crust to your pre-heated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until par-baked.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine eggs with spinach, milk, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, basil and salt; mix well.
- Pour mixture into the par-baked pie crust.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta with mozzarella and remaining parmesan.
- Dollop the ricotta all around and top and place tomatoes around the cheese.
- Place foil on the edges of the crust to prevent them from burning.
- Place quiche on cookie sheet and bake on the middle oven rack for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving.
Tips for Healthy Meal Plans: Add a green salad with a homemade dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and herbs of your choice. You can also add some fresh berries on top. If you want to sweeten them up add a light teaspoon of sugar, mixed with water.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
Click here for this recipe to add to healthy meal plans.