Need some ideas for your healthy eating plan? Go to a local farmers market and select from the bounty of ripe summer vegetables. Pick out some zucchini, summer squash, and fresh tomatoes. All you have to do for a balanced meal is to quickly sauté them with protein-rich white beans and sprinkle on a little Parmesan cheese for added flavor. This sauté is endlessly versatile and works well with other vegetables, like eggplant, peppers or corn.
Summer Squash & White Bean Sauté
Ingredients (4 servings)
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 medium zucchini
• 1 medium yellow summer squash
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini or great northern beans (reduced salt)
• 2 medium tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
• 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, summer squash, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Stir in beans, tomatoes and vinegar; increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan.
Nutrition: (per serving; 1-1/4 cups)
Click here for this recipe as part of your healthy eating plan