Healthy eating during barbeque season is important for a healthy diet and lifestyle. This year resist the temptation to go for the hot dogs, burgers and corn on the cob slathered in butter.
Healthy Eating During BBQ Season
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated and bland. Skewers are fun and easy. You may have grilled chicken kebobs with bell peppers and onions. Why not try salmon kebobs for a healthy alternative?
• Decreasing the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease while also promoting healthy cholesterol levels.
• Fish and shellfish are especially important for providing omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in very few foods. A 3 oz portion of salmon is estimated to provide over 1,500 mg of omega-3s.
• Data from the Cardiovascular Health Study show that high dietary intakes of DHA and EPA (the long-chain fatty acids found in fish) may lower the risk of fatal heart attacks and lower the incidence of congestive heart failure.
• A 2004 meta-analysis of 13 different studies found that eating fish once per week can reduce the risk of dying from coronary heart disease by 15%. The more fish that was consumed, the lower the risk. Adding an extra 5 oz of fish per week reduced the risk to 8%.
Healthy Eating Summer Barbeque Recipe
Give this healthy eating recipe a try:
Grilled Rosemary Salmon Skewers
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine rosemary, oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Add salmon; toss to coat.
4. Alternating the salmon and tomatoes, divide among eight 12-inch skewers.
5. Grill the skewers on an oiled grill rack.
6. Carefully turn the skewers once.
7. Grill until the salmon is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total.
8. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per 2 skewer serving)
• Calories 172
• Fat 7g
• Carbs 4g
• Protein 23g
Healthy Eating Grill Tips
Make Ahead Tip:
Prepare the skewers ahead of time and cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
• If you can find (or grow) them, use sturdy rosemary branches, stripped of leaves, as skewers.
• The rosemary will add a subtle, smoky flavor that hints of pine.
• Oil your grill well to prevent sticking.
• Don’t move the kebabs around unnecessarily.
• Always keep a close eye on the fire to avoid flare-ups.
Click here for this healthy eating recipe for salmon skewers.