No time for breakfast? With a little advance planning you can have a nutritious grab-n-go treat that will keep you full until lunchtime. A recent healthy trend is to soak oatmeal, plus healthy add-ins, overnight in the refrigerator.
Try this healthy diet recipe
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh stone fruit, such as cherries, peaches, and/or plums
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. In a large bowl, stir together oats, buttermilk, milk, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon.
Divide between 2 2-cup-capacity containers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 7 hours
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans on a small baking sheet and bake, stirring
once, until toasted and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
3. In a small bowl, stir together fruit and lemon juice; divide between 2 small containers.
Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, stir oats mixture and top with fruit and nuts.
Source: Health.com July/August 2015