Good weight loss programs have to include tasty foods. If healthy food doesn’t taste good and look appetizing, then it isn’t part of a good weight loss program. Nutritionists know that healthy food can also be tasty food. Putting the two together is the foundation of all good weight loss programs.
Hallmarks of Good Weight Loss Programs
Good weight loss programs should meet these criteria:
• Feature a healthy balanced diet
• No severe calorie deprivation
• Include foods from all healthy food groups
• Occasional indulgent treats
• Lots of planning ahead to make good choices
• Food that is not only nutritious, but also tastes good
• Meals that are satisfying
• A good dose of protein in every meal
• A regular meal pattern
One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
This one-pot dinner is not only quick and easy to prepare, but it will satisfy your cravings for both pasta and Mexican food.
This is a Mexican-inspired pasta dish from Skinnytaste. Chicken fajitas meets pasta night! This easy chicken dinner is made in one pot, for an easy dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
INGREDIENTS: (makes 5 servings)
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 large white onion, sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
• 1 (10-oz) can mild diced tomatoes & green chiles
• 7 oz pasta
• 1/2 cup light sour cream
• 1 scallion, diced
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 4 oz diced avocado (from 1 small)
1. Season chicken with 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
2. In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet.
4. When the oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
5. Add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to the plate with the chicken.
7. In the same skillet, add the broth, diced tomatoes and uncooked pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
8. Add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.
9. Mix in the sour cream and top with scallions and cilantro. Serve with avocado on top.
NUTRITION: (per 1-1/2 cup serving)
Click here to get full recipe ideal for good weight loss programs.