Effective diets are only going to become healthy lifestyles if you can stick to them during the holidays. On Thanksgiving, the average person consumes 4,500 calories. That’s more than two days’ worth of calories.
Many of the empty calories come from highly caloric desserts. But there’s no need to forego pumpkin pie. Just make a healthier version.
Effective Diets for Thanksgiving
Effective diets require holiday strategies. Here are some suggestions for a healthier Thanksgiving meal.
• Start with a pureed vegetable soup,
• Fill 50% of your plate with non-starchy vegetables,
• Fill up on skinless turkey breast,
• Eat sides like stuffing sparingly,
• Make healthier versions of your favorite dessert, and
• Practice portion control!
Pumpkin is a healthy addition to effective diets. A 15-oz. can of pumpkin puree is a healthy food with no additives and contains only 150 calories. Pumpkin puree is low in fat, a good source of fiber, and very nutritious. Pumpkin contains Vitamins A, C, E and K. It is also a good source of magnesium, potassium and iron.
Try making this healthier version of pumpkin pie as part of your effective diet holiday strategy.
Healthy Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients (makes 6-8 slices)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/3 cup flour, such as spelt, oat, almond, white, sorghum, or whole wheat
• 1/3 cup maple syrup or sugar (or sweetener of choice, liquid or granulated)
• pinch uncut stevia OR 2 additional tbsp sugar of choice
• 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
• 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk of choice
• 2 tbsp oil OR omit and increase milk to 1 cup
• 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• Optional:1 tbsp ground flax or 2 tsp cornstarch
Note: The pie will be a bit delicate (less firm) without the final optional ingredient.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Grease a 9-inch round pan. In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients.
3. Smooth into the prepared pan. Bake on the center rack 35 minutes.
4. It will be super-soft after baking, which is what you want.
5. Allow to cool completely before transferring, uncovered or loosely covered, to the fridge to “set” for at least 6 hours.
6. Slice and serve. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
Click here to get this healthy recipe to help with effective diets for the holidays.