Diets for diabetics emphasize stable glucose levels. If you have diabetes, or if you’re just looking for a new dip or spread, consider adding lima beans to your diet.
Diets for Diabetics: Health Benefits of Lima Beans
A serving of lima beans, which are legumes, contains (3.5 oz.) is packed with fiber—53% of your body’s daily requirement. Fiber is critical to keeping you feeling full for a long time and for colon health. It also reduces blood cholesterol levels by decreasing re-absorption in the colon.
The mineral content in lima beans provides almost half of what you need per day in manganese, along with plentiful amounts of iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and valuable antioxidants. This bean is also rich in vitamins, including folate, vitamin B1, and vitamin B6.
According to numerous studies, legumes, including lima beans, can help diabetes patients lower their insulin intake. They slow the digestive process and are low on the glycemic index, which helps stabilize blood glucose levels, which is important for people on diabetic diets.
Try this healthy recipe to include in your diabetic diet as an imaginative alternative to the typical ranch dressing dip.
Lima Bean Spread with Cumin & Herbs
Ingredients (makes 1/1-2 cups)
• 1 10-ounce package frozen lima beans (or edamame beans)
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lima beans, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until the beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in the liquid.
2. Drain the beans and garlic. Transfer to a food processor. Add oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, stir in mint, cilantro and dill.
Click here for this lima bean recipe which is a good choice for diets for diabetics.